A UN report has called for increased intervention in the Central African Republic (CAR) as the armed conflict continues. According to its report, the violence has already displaced over one million people.
The report released by the United Nations estimated that nearly one million people had been displaced by fighting in the Central African Republic. Half of those displaced came from the capital city, Bangui.
"People are hiding in the bush, fearing fresh attacks," UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) spokesperson Babar Baloch said, according to the Friday report.
Fighting broke out in March when rebels from the Muslim Seleka militia overthrew then-President Francois Bozize. Violence continued through the fall despite the installation of an interim government under the country's first Muslim president, Michel Djobotia, who banned the Seleka group. The fighting largely pitted minority Muslim rebels against majority Christians.
The number of attacks escalated at the beginning of December, prompting an increased intervention by French and African Union (AU) peacekeeping troops from the UN-mandated International Support Mission.
UN: More troops needed
Citing a "complete breakdown of law and order," the UN report called for an increase in troops so that UN aid workers could reach displaced persons.
The presence of link:17304217:French and AU peacekeepers# had not been enough to secure conflict areas in Bangui or in the area surrounding its airport, thus hindering "the humanitarian agencies to do their job effectively," the report said.
The large distances between sites where internally displaced persons had sought refuge had also hindered the UN from distributing aid.
Over 1,000 have been killed in the Central African Republic since early last month. The European Union has banned the export of arms and the sending of mercenaries there in response to the conflict.
kms/ccp (AFP, Reuters, dpa)
Borussia Dortmund have won their opening Champions League encounter, defeating Premier League side Arsenal. Bundesliga league leaders Leverkusen struggled to score all night in Monaco, losing their game 1-0.
Josef Zinnbauer has been appointed as the new head coach at Bundesliga side Hamburg. The decision by one of Germany's biggest and oldest clubs to opt for the Bundesliga debutant comes as somewhat of a surprise.