Some 64 years after the massacre by German soldiers of 124 people in the village of Maille in western France, the alleged perpetrators have been identified, a press report said.
A German Waffen-SS batallion stationed in neighbouring Chatellerault was responsible for the attack during World War II, Le Figaro reported, quoting prosecutor Ulrich Maass on Saturday, Oct. 11.
"I received the translation of the testimonies in the archives, and they are very interesting," he told the paper. "I am practically sure that the SS battalion based at Chatellerault, as has already been suspected, was responsible for the massacre."
Maass has been probing the case for several months, using Gestapo archives and other documents. Of the three alleged perpetrators who have been named, two are already dead. The fate of the third remains unknown. None of the men was named in Le Figaro's report.
Retreating German soldiers took revenge in Maille on August 25, 1944, killing 124 of its 500 inhabitants. Forty-four children were among the dead.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy travelled to Maille in August to attend a ceremony marking the event. The Maille massacre had remained long-forgotten, because it coincided with the day Paris was liberated from the Nazis.
Spain has held a series of events to mark the 10th anniversary of the Madrid train bombings, which left 191 people dead. Both the country's king and prime minister were present to hear tributes paid to those killed.
Russia is responsible for the protection of all Russians no matter where they live, comes the message from Moscow. That strikes fear into its former Soviet Republics - and reminds them of recent history.
A US congressional committee has said it's investigating why carmaker General Motors had been late in initiating a recall over an unsafe ignition switch problem. GM itself admitted 13 deaths had been linked to the issue.