Mario Monti has confirmed he is to lead a coalition of centrist parties into February's parliamentary election. His group will run against the leading Democratic Party and Berlusconi's People of Freedom party.
In a hastily convened news conference on Friday, Italy's outgoing prime minister said he would contest the election as the head of a new "grouping" of likeminded politicians. Monti told reporters his coalition groups together centrist parties who support his European and reform-minded agenda
"The traditional left-right split has historic and symbolic value" for the country, but "it does not highlight the real alliance that Italy needs - one that focuses on Europe and reforms," Monti said after a meeting with centrist politicians.
He added that the grouping could win a "significant result" in next year's election, paving the way for his possible return to office.
As a senator-for-life Monti won't have to run for a seat in parliament himself in the election. But he said he would help chose a single list of candidates, possibly called "Monti's agenda for Italy," in the upper house and probably be the prime minister candidate in the lower house.
Friday's announcement clarifies a statement made on Sunday in which he said he would consider seeking a second term if he could find a credible political force to support his reform-minded agenda.
The election, scheduled to take place on Febuary 24-5, will now see a three-way battle for power. Monti's centrists will go head-to-head with the centre-left Democratic Party (PD), which is leading in the polls, and Silvio Berlusconi's People of Freedom (PDL) party.
The 69-year-old former European Commissioner was appointed to lead Italy's technocrat government last year to restore Italy's finances following Berlusconi's departure.
Berlusconi has criticized Monti for enforcing "German-centric" austerity measures which he says have plunged Italy deeper into recession.
ccp/jm (AFP, Reuters, AP)
After 1. FC Nürnberg's relegation last season, the club's Japanese playmaker Hiroshi Kiyotake has agreed a deal to join Hannover 96 on a four-year contract for a fee of around 4 million euros.
With recent Germany captain Philipp Lahm retiring from international duty, an heir to the right back's throne must be found. The upcoming Bundesliga campaign boasts a number of candidates.